The past few months have seen us put the finishing touches to our brand new office in Salford. As the name suggests, the Soapworks is a redeveloped soap factory and it will bring together over 1,000 people from our previous offices in Irlam and Warrington. We’re really excited about our new offices and they’ve even been featured in the Manchester Evening News.
As our Chief People Officer, Mark Dickinson, put it, Soapworks is the beginning of a new era for us: “Soapworks is more than a building. It marks a new chapter in TalkTalk – a modern, collaborative, 'next gen' TalkTalk. And I can't wait to see the benefits of having all our North West teams in one place.”
One of the new office’s many advantages is its world-class technology.
Our Tech teams have been working tirelessly in the lead up to our big move, setting up ready for the first teams to arrive at the Soapworks. Here’s the lowdown on just some of the tech enablers we’re introducing in Salford, many of which we’ll be rolling out to our Shepherd’s Bush offices too.
- We've set up 1165 desks with shiny new equipment – no more crumb covered keyboards!
- We've put in 200 Wi-Fi access points across the five floors meaning our people will have amazing coverage.
- We’ve rolled out over 1,000 new laptops and we have a plan to rollout a further 1,000 in the coming months.
- We've connected over 100 square metres of information screens – enough to fill a football pitch with room to spare.
- We have a new state of the art Network Operating Centre (NOC) and a brand new 24/7 Security Operating Centre (SOC).
- We've laid 100,000 metres of CAT6A data wiring, leading to 4876 data outlets.
- We've removed 1200 desk phones and replaced them with a snazzy softphone laptop-based solution so our teams can use their desk phone from any location.
- The Soapworks has an impressive ten Telepresence meetings rooms and one new main immersive TP suite.
We’ve installed two circuits leaving the Soapworks in different directions to ensure our network is robust and reliable and we even have our very own dedicated FTTC cabinet from Openreach in the basement to allow fast product testing of new and existing products.
We're setting up 'The Desk' – a new IT function offering walk up support for any IT questions or queries our people may have.
And we're creating an innovative 'Beehive' area to showcase all our latest products.
A task of this size was no mean feat but it will ensure that we can collaborate even more effectively with people both internally and externally.
We’re really proud of our new home, and of all the people who’ve helped to make the move happen. We’re confident that our people will love working in our new flagship North West base.
Are you planning a move?
We recently conducted a study in partnership with Censuswide, we found that 50 per cent of the 1000 business decision makers surveyed are thinking of expanding their business in the next 12 months (Source: Censuswide, IP Voice study, October 2016).
If you need some advice on the best voice or connectivity solution for your business’s current and future needs, please get in touch.