- Partner Types
- Why TalkTalk Business?
News & Insight
- Openreach’s Exchange Upgrade & Migration trials: What you need to know
- 4 reasons full fibre outperforms copper every time
- Partner Roadshow 2020: Follow the fibre
- Enhanced Monitoring: Unleash the power of data(2)
- One Customer Desk: Becoming easier to do business with
- 7 reasons you don’t want to miss the Partner Roadshow
- Case study: Using powerful data to drive fibre upsell for our Partners
- Digital Britain 2.0: Comms Vision 2019 highlights
- Capacity Europe 2019 highlights
- 6 reasons to add G.fast to your connectivity portfolio
- Could EoFTTC hit the sweet spot for your customers?
- 3 things we learned at Channel Live 2019
- 5 reasons to visit us at Channel Live
- Harnessing Google's digital marketing insights to boost your business
- How to use robotics to improve business operations
- Q&A with Simon Leather at Connected Britain 2019
- Fibre and the channel: Busting the myths
- International Telecoms Week 2019: Meet the team
- Key takeaways from the Connectivity Matters Summit 2019
- Why the WLR switch off is an opportunity, not a threat
- 4 insights to reduce churn and stay one step ahead
- What we learnt at our first Partner Roadshow
- 5 ways to support your customers’ digital transformation
- Our COO's tips for winning business through customer experience
- Telco forecast: What to expect in 2019
- Top 5 network insights
- What's Christmas without connection?
- 11 steps to reduce the risk of telecoms Fraud over Christmas
- Help your customers win more this Black Friday
- Rob's had a day to forget
- Comms vision 2018 Highlights
- Meet us at Capacity Europe
- Making Unified Communications reeeeeally simple
- The Third Wave of Connectivity Evolution……Ultrafast
- Soapworks - A home to be proud of
- Intro to Knowledge
- Proud to be keeping Britain connected
- Ofcom reports our managed broadband speeds ahead of competition
- Preparing for the second surge in remote working
- Accelerate your Homeworker opportunity with our data and insights
- The future of telephony - Our VoIP journey so far...
- Important update – Openreach stop sell at selected Exchanges
- Changing the way we communicate for the better
- TalkTalk Business delighted to announce our 'Covid-critical' broadband engineers have been awarded MBEs
- TalkTalk Business win ‘Best Wholesale Sales Team’ Award at the Global Carrier Awards 2020!
- Everything you need to know about G.fast
- Markets Unlocked – TalkTalk Business joins the debate on a full fibre future
- Helping our Partners to build back better
- TalkTalk Business win Best Fibre Connectivity Provider at the Comms Business Awards 2020!
- Improving Employee Well-Being During COVID-19
- We’d like to introduce you to our TalkTalk Business Product Solutions Team – Focusing on creating value for our Partners
- TalkTalk Business shares research whitepaper to help Partners address the mass shift to hybrid working
- G.fast or FTTP – What are they and how to make the right choice for your customers?
- Six Top Tips to Help Your Employees Stay Connected While Working from Home
- Workplace wellbeing: A checklist for your business
- How to get a better work-life balance when hybrid working
- TalkTalk Business Critical Infrastructure Update
- TalkTalk Business takes home a BESMA award
- We're finalists in the Global Women in Telco and Tech awards
- TalkTalk Business is a finalist in the Comms National Awards 2019
- TalkTalk Business’ MPLS network to be implemented at Multi-Academy Trust to drive efficiencies and save costs
- TalkTalk Business shortlisted for the CRN Women in Channel Awards
- TalkTalk Business picks up “Best Business” award at ITSPA this year
- Increased investment in our Partners
- Britain's businesses prepare for hyper- speed
- TalkTalk launches campaign to raise awareness of vulnerable connectivity
- TalkTalk Business offer businesses greater resiliency with Mobile Back-up
- Everything you need to know about IP Voice (VoIP)
- Important Notification of Change Freeze 2020
Last month I took part in a panel discussion at the Connected Britain 2019 conference to discuss what the full fibre rollout will look like for the channel. I was joined by an esteemed panel of connectivity providers, including Entanet, Six Degrees Group, Glide Business and Babble.
I caught up with Total Telecom after the session to talk about the opportunities that full fibre brings to the channel:
Don’t worry if you missed out on the panel session at Connected Britain, you can read some of the questions and my answers below.
How are you using/intending to use the fibre networks that will be available to you from your upstream network partners?
Part of our role in the wholesale market is how we leverage opportunities in these localities, whether that’s speed or pricing. At the same time, we aim to provide uniformity, so our Partners don’t need to know about the specifics of the market. We want to make it simple; Partners can transact with us and provide services in that area – that’s going to be our strategic focus going forwards.
Does the availability of more fibre assist in accelerating the digital transformation of UK SMEs? Have they been lagging behind the large corporates, and will fibre availability help bridge this gap? How does your company help with this digital transformation programmes?
TalkTalk has a history of innovation, such as the launch of EFM products, entry-level leased lines and so on, and we will continue to do that with FTTP as it rolls out. We don’t just plan on taking the access services provided by the local builder and repackaging it and selling it – there is an opportunity to innovate there.
We have some Partners that address the SME segment who leverage the connectivity that we provide in different ways, such as free Wi-Fi, changing business models, cloud-based accounting, small businesses packages etc. We have a long-standing relationship with Partners who take existing connectivity and wrap it with other services to create a distinctive proposition. TalkTalk Business will continue to focus on connectivity Partners, providing them with the opportunity to innovate.
What are the key barriers that your company, or other companies like yours, may face when trying to make the most of the fibre rollouts? How do you propose to overcome them?
We’re seeing three main barriers in the fibre rollout and the first is the patchy nature of full fibre availability. This drives additional complexity, as there is a range of options and idiosyncrasies around the terminology, SLAs speed etc, which can be confusing for our Partners. The second is that the solutions cut across multiple technologies, such as FTTP, FTTC, Ethernet, and trying to manage a rollout of all these things creates even more complexity. Finally, there’s the future perspective when you consider voice services, FTTP is data only so some of our Partners will still need to provision voice services. How do they do that in a way that’s cost effective?
How will this ‘modified landscape’ affect your partnerships with the fibre providers? Both the existing partnerships and any potential new partnership?
As you may know, TalkTalk has a strong relationship with Openreach. In addition, our fibre trials in York have provided us with great experience and an understanding of what it takes to build a full fibre network.
However, we know that our relationship with Openreach is going to change as we begin to engage with altnets. How do we hide some of the complexity discussed earlier and present to the channel a single set of portals and APIs that our Partners can start using?
The nature of our channel environment is going to change. We can’t see the UK as one overall geographical location anymore, we need to understand where our Partners are strong and where we can help them grease the wheels of digital Britain.