- Partner Types
- Why TalkTalk Business?
News & Insight
- Openreach’s Exchange Upgrade & Migration trials: What you need to know
- 4 reasons full fibre outperforms copper every time
- Partner Roadshow 2020: Follow the fibre
- Enhanced Monitoring: Unleash the power of data(2)
- One Customer Desk: Becoming easier to do business with
- 7 reasons you don’t want to miss the Partner Roadshow
- Case study: Using powerful data to drive fibre upsell for our Partners
- Digital Britain 2.0: Comms Vision 2019 highlights
- Capacity Europe 2019 highlights
- 6 reasons to add G.fast to your connectivity portfolio
- Could EoFTTC hit the sweet spot for your customers?
- 3 things we learned at Channel Live 2019
- 5 reasons to visit us at Channel Live
- Harnessing Google's digital marketing insights to boost your business
- How to use robotics to improve business operations
- Q&A with Simon Leather at Connected Britain 2019
- Fibre and the channel: Busting the myths
- International Telecoms Week 2019: Meet the team
- Key takeaways from the Connectivity Matters Summit 2019
- Why the WLR switch off is an opportunity, not a threat
- 4 insights to reduce churn and stay one step ahead
- What we learnt at our first Partner Roadshow
- 5 ways to support your customers’ digital transformation
- Our COO's tips for winning business through customer experience
- Telco forecast: What to expect in 2019
- Top 5 network insights
- What's Christmas without connection?
- 11 steps to reduce the risk of telecoms Fraud over Christmas
- Help your customers win more this Black Friday
- Rob's had a day to forget
- Comms vision 2018 Highlights
- Meet us at Capacity Europe
- Making Unified Communications reeeeeally simple
- The Third Wave of Connectivity Evolution……Ultrafast
- Soapworks - A home to be proud of
- Intro to Knowledge
- Proud to be keeping Britain connected
- Ofcom reports our managed broadband speeds ahead of competition
- Preparing for the second surge in remote working
- Accelerate your Homeworker opportunity with our data and insights
- The future of telephony - Our VoIP journey so far...
- Changing the way we communicate for the better
- TalkTalk Business delighted to announce our 'Covid-critical' broadband engineers have been awarded MBEs
- TalkTalk Business win ‘Best Wholesale Sales Team’ Award at the Global Carrier Awards 2020!
- Everything you need to know about G.fast
- Markets Unlocked – TalkTalk Business joins the debate on a full fibre future
- Helping our Partners to build back better
- TalkTalk Business win Best Fibre Connectivity Provider at the Comms Business Awards 2020!
- Improving Employee Well-Being During COVID-19
- We’d like to introduce you to our TalkTalk Business Product Solutions Team – Focusing on creating value for our Partners
- TalkTalk Business shares research whitepaper to help Partners address the mass shift to hybrid working
- G.fast or FTTP – What are they and how to make the right choice for your customers?
- Six Top Tips to Help Your Employees Stay Connected While Working from Home
- Workplace wellbeing: A checklist for your business
- How to get a better work-life balance when hybrid working
- The modern workplace
- Wholesale Virtual Event 2021 – Reconnecting with our Partners
- Wholesale Virtual Event: A faster future
- Hybrid Working Opportunities for the Channel - Our Roundtable Discussion
- Full Fibre is far better for the environment
- Top tips on how you can support your remote workers
- Your full fibre broadband overview
- TalkTalk Wholesale Services has been shortlisted for 8 Awards in 2021!
- Update: Openreach stop sell at selected Exchanges
- TalkTalk Business Critical Infrastructure Update
- TalkTalk Business takes home a BESMA award
- We're finalists in the Global Women in Telco and Tech awards
- TalkTalk Business is a finalist in the Comms National Awards 2019
- TalkTalk Business’ MPLS network to be implemented at Multi-Academy Trust to drive efficiencies and save costs
- TalkTalk Business shortlisted for the CRN Women in Channel Awards
- TalkTalk Business picks up “Best Business” award at ITSPA this year
- Increased investment in our Partners
- Britain's businesses prepare for hyper- speed
- TalkTalk launches campaign to raise awareness of vulnerable connectivity
- TalkTalk Business offer businesses greater resiliency with Mobile Back-up
- Everything you need to know about IP Voice (VoIP)
- Important Notification of Change Freeze 2020
Ofcom reports our managed broadband speeds ahead of competition
Ofcom’s latest report into the performance of broadband has just been released and we want to celebrate some of the ways that TalkTalk is leading the industry. This report highlights the huge surge in broadband usage we have seen across the UK since the COVID-19 lockdown, home working and school closures have driven an unsurprising increase in people streaming and using online educational services. TalkTalk’s mission to provide ‘Fibre for All’ is in full swing, and Ofcom’s results emphasise just how vital our ongoing investment has been, to ensure we provide the best available services for our customers.
Read below how our broadband performance has improved over the years…
Progress in increasing Average speeds
Ofcom’s data shows that throughout 2019 our next-gen Full-Fibre network has remained dependable and is leading the UK for average FTTC download speeds in both the 40 and 80 Mbit/s product categories. Plus, our upload throughput is second, out of all FTTC providers in both groups, to Zen and EE, respectively.
Measured over a 24-hour period and during peak-times (8-10pm), both TalkTalk’s FTTC40 and FTTC80 download throughput were over 1 Mbit/s faster than other providers.
Especially when last year’s results are considered, our network performance has improved significantly (YoY) across the board, while others appear to have dropped in performance across all four categories, or slightly improved in only one or two metrics.
Especially now that so many teams are working from home, ensuring staff can work productively, and not limited or delayed by their connection, is vital. Our average webpage load-times are industry-leading in both product categories. We couldn’t be prouder of the work our Technology Services team has done in continuing to grow our public and private peering relationships, exploiting technologies such as caching and tuning our distributed DNS infrastructure in the TalkTalk network to enhance our network’s performance.
Another key indicator to highlight within the report is video performance, this is especially important in the current COVID-19 situation. We see children and adults using collaboration tools for work and school, such as Microsoft Teams or Zoom, as well as entertain themselves during lockdown turning to video on-demand services such as iPlayer, Netflix and YouTube as family-friendly media sources. Ofcom’s results show that we are providing the shortest start-up delays across all three video platforms, in both the 40 and 80 Mbit/s products, ensuring our customers have the best-quality media immediately available.
What’s more, our ability to reliably deliver ultra-high-definition video streams to our customers was second out of seven ISPs. As HD and UHD services become more popular and devices to watch high-resolution content continue to become more accessible to consumers, we expect UHD content delivery to become a significant indicator of network performance, especially in the home.
While most of the report focused on 2019 performance, the report did also look at the effect of COVID-19 in the weeks immediately before and after the national lockdown was implemented. The key conclusions included:
- Download speeds fell by an average of 2% across major providers in the latter half of March as the UK entered lockdown
- Upload speeds fell by an average of 1% across major providers in the latter half of March
- Most major broadband providers saw an average increase in network latency of 2% during March
Our network functioned in-line with the average dips that providers experienced to upload, download and latency times and, when comparing performance from the first seven days of March to the last seven, we consistently ranked highly across the board, unlike other providers who may have scored well in one metric but poorly in others.
In summary, we’re extremely pleased of these results, both for 2019 and March of 2020. Our staff, as always, have shown incredible team-spirit and a true passion for customer service. Now, more than ever, UK homes and businesses are relying on broadband connections as enablers for our digital lifestyles and work, and we see this dependence increasing for the foreseeable future.
We are continually investing in our network for both our business and consumer customers and are well prepared to ensure they continue to receive reliable connectivity. Our teams are constantly measuring our performance to discover areas that we can develop, and we can’t wait to share more information on how we are evolving our services, in the coming months.